Have you been thinking about discontinuing PrEP during the COVID-19 pandemic due to reduced sexual activity? To continue or stop PrEP is an individual decision. But there are some important things you should know if you are thinking about stopping:
- Daily PrEP remains the most effective way to prevent HIV infection.
- To ensure that you’re adequately protected, you will need to wait 28 days after your last risky sexual contact before stopping PrEP.
- If you decide to stop taking PrEP and restart it later, you will need to complete new labs and HIV testing before you can get a new prescription.
- If you decide to stop taking PrEP and restart it later, you will need to wait 7 days before engaging in receptive anal sex, and 21 days before engaging in receptive vaginal sex before you are fully protected.
- We have resumed scheduling new patients who want to start PrEP. Please contact us for an appointment.
If you decide to stop PrEP before you run out of medication, 2-1-1 dosing may offer you some protection:
- Take 2 Truvada pills 24 to 2 hours before sex
- Take 1 pill 24 hours after the initial dose
- Take 1 final pill 24 hours later